Monday, August 24, 2026

Why I Write

**The Architect of Quiet**


The house settles. The coffee goes cold.  

It is 2 AM, and the cursor blinks—  

a tiny, steady heartbeat in a sea of white.  


People call writing "solitary,"  

as if that's a romantic word.  

They don't mention the weight of the quiet,  

how the silence in the room can press against your ribs,  

how you can forget the sound of your own voice  

after hours of listening only to the echoes in your head.  


But here is the secret I've learned:  

I do not build these worlds because I am empty.  

I build them because the loneliness is a wide, open space,  

and I refuse to leave it barren.  


So I lay down cobblestones.  

I sketch the hinge of a door that shouldn't exist,  

and I turn the handle.  

I breathe names into the mouths of ghosts,  

I weave languages the wind forgot,  

I fill the empty rooms with the clatter of imagined lives.  


The isolation doesn't disappear.  

But it transforms.  

It becomes the quiet of a forest before the dawn,  

the hush of a theater right before the curtain rises.  


I am still sitting here, alone in the dark.  

But my hands are busy building a universe  

where I am never, ever truly by myself.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I Write

**The Architect of Quiet** The house settles. The coffee goes cold.   It is 2 AM, and the cursor blinks—   a tiny, steady heartbeat in a sea...